CMS Technology Initiative Award
The College Music Society is pleased to announce the inauguration of the CMS Technology Initiative Award. The Award of $500 will be given annually to an active CMS member who has demonstrated exceptional initiative in integrating technology in college music instruction, preparing students to practice musicianship and scholarship within a community that is increasingly dependent on technology, and providing a model of effective practice to education, industry, and the public at large.
Criteria for the Award
- Originality in the use of technology for support of college music instruction
- Impact on effectiveness for student learning as demonstrated by documentation
- Provides a model for effective practice that can be replicated in other education settings
- Uses readily available technology solutions
- Evidence that the technology prepares students to practice musicianship and scholarship within a community that is increasingly dependent on technology
Criteria for Applicant
- Current member of CMS; may only receive the award once.
- Winner will be recognized at the Annual Meeting of The Society during the conference.
- Winner must (1) write an article for the CMS newsletter about the project and (2) provide a video of the project in action for the CMS website. The winner is strongly encouraged to also attend the National Conference and offer a Showcase presentation on their award winning work.
Application Consists of the Following:
- Name, institution, teaching responsibilities on cover page
- Brief description of past involvement with technology in the music profession including CMS/ATMI conferences and related activity
- Project title
- Two-page description of project
- Some form of a multimedia presentation (video, PowerPoint, other) to demonstrate technology and project in action
- Examples of student work to support effectiveness
- Two letters of support from colleagues, submitted directly to the committee
Materials must be submitted in a ZIP file, sent by email, or other format to:
Peter R. Webster
Chair of the CMS Instructional Technology and Information Services Committee
Bienen School of Music
Evanston, IL 60208
Deadline and Process for Review
- Timeline: Award applications are due September 2, 2011.
- The CMS Instructional Technology and Information Services Committee will serve as the review committee for the award.
- The award winner receives a $500 prize and is recognized at the Annual Meeting of the Society.
- Committee reserves the right to award honorable mentions to participants.