Interdisciplinary Arts Residency Program
Graduate Project Assistant Job Description
Term of appointment: July 1, 2011 – June 30, 2012
Background: The Arts Institute exists to foster and celebrate the arts, broadly understood, as integral
and essential to the University’s mission. It does so by integrating campus arts programs, providing
opportunities to experience and understand diverse cultures and the arts created within them, facilitating
cross-departmental projects, and serving as a resource to the larger campus community.
The Arts Institute Interdisciplinary Arts Residency Program brings world-class artists to campus to teach
semester-long, interdepartmental courses and to publicly present their work for campus and community
The Arts Residency Project Assistant will work with the Arts Residency Manager to support the Artist
in Residence and Faculty of Record/Sponsor in the planning and execution of the residency. The
unpredictable nature of the duties requires flexibility, including working evenings and weekends and
being available by phone and email. The PA will report to and meet regularly with the Arts Residency
Skills & Experience Desired
• Interests in the areas of arts and humanities, interdisciplinary arts, and opportunities for students
from different areas to work together.
• Arts or humanities event planning experience.
• Communication and people skills.
• Information gathering and problem-solving skills.
• Writing skills for publicity and academic purposes, including proofreading and copyediting.
• Social media.
• Required technical skills
o Email (Wiscmail/Thunderbird)
o Word processing and basic graphic layout (Microsoft Word)
o Spreadsheet for budgets and mailing lists (Microsoft Excel)
o Web editing (Macromedia Dreamweaver)
o Basic image editing (Fireworks or Adobe Photoshop)
o Social media (Facebook and Twitter)
• Experience or strong interest in working with a diverse range of people (especially those who are
new or visiting campus), including international guests.
• Recent experience as student or instructor at UW-Madison, preferably in the arts or humanities.
Knowledge of campus systems and resources.
• Well-organized, self-motivated, and detail and service-oriented, with the ability to solve
problems, to manage multiple priorities, to work under deadline, and to work effectively with all
members of the academic community.
Under the direction of the Arts Residency Manager:
• Assist Residency Manager in role as liaison between Arts Institute, visiting artist, host
department, cosponsoring units, outside vendors, and partners.
• Assist with publicity and marketing of residency and public events, including writing press
releases and email announcements, social media posting, managing mailing and email lists,
postering, brochure distribution, web updates, etc.
• Assist with public event planning, including making arrangements for travel, catering,
accommodations, facilities, equipment, and supplies, and creating and communicating visitor
• Staff public events, including set-up, equipment operation, take-down, transporting visitors, etc.
• Assist visiting artist with arrival and departure processes including housing setup, shopping,
navigating campus and town, negotiating university bureaucracy and campus resources,
telephone and internet services, transportation needs, etc.
• Provide course support, including equipment rental and operation, space scouting and
reservations, photocopying, etc.
• Assist with other Arts Institute projects as needed, including taking meeting notes.
• Please submit the following no later than June 1st:
o Letter of interest
o Resume addressing relevant experience
o 1-3 letters of reference
• Materials may be submitted electronically to firstname.lastname@example.org or in hard copy to:
Manager, Arts Residency Program
B150 Lathrop Hall
1050 University Ave
Madison, WI 53706
Note: The School of Education policy is that project assistants must be graduate level students and are
required to register each semester during the academic year for a minimum of six graduate credits unless
they are dissertators and register for a minimum of three credits.